Saturday, October 5, 2013

Blue Knights Year 1 Shield of Faith

I am determined to see what I can do with Blue Knights with limited cost and a lot of imagination.

For the Shield of Faith, I wanted to let the boys have something to personalize and to play with.  I didn't want to have full size shields, but I also didn't want to distill the idea down to a coloring sheet either.  Here is what I ended up with and it was very successful with the boys.

 
I ended up making paperboard shields that the boys colored their own designs on the front.  
 
 
 
I cut two shields approximately 5 by 7  inches from Cereal Box Paperboard.
 


Then on one of the cut outs, I cute two 1 inch slits one above the other, about one inch apart, near the top of the shield shape.  This was to thread the ribbon through so the boys could use it for their finger to slide in and hold their shield.
 

Making sure that the ribbon was looped out slightly, I then used the Aleene's Original Tacky Glue to glue the pieces together, making sure to keep the ribbon loop on the outside. 

 
 
The game for the lesson is using your shields to defend yourself during dodge ball.  We don't have activity space for that, and some of our younger boys are 4 years old, so the plan was to use their mini shields to defend against cotton balls that represented sins that your Faith can help.  I didn't remember the cotton balls, but I did have a game with little plastic frogs that "jump" so the boys used those. 


No comments: